Freedom of Expression


I have a great passion for writing on various topics right from the beginning. But I sincerely do not know how I end up communicating my opponents about the topic I select. Every time I take up any topic for writing a book, someone crops-up from somewhere and starts opposing me. They even go to the extent of threatening me or beating me up to prevent me from writing what they think as objectionable or hurting their sentiments.

Once I started writing a novel on a love story in mythological era of Mahabharata. I had hardly written 5-6 pages when some traditional-cultural organization got a clue of what I was writing. They came to me and asked me to stop playing with history and threatened me to destroy my belongings if I did not listen to them.

Getting discouraged, I started a book on technological advancements in modern era. Again, the same cultural police appeared before me and asked me to stop my nonsense saying further that we already had all the technological advancements in ancient India that we are seeing today and my book will portray our country in a bad light. I thanked them because I had never thought that way, nor was it my intention to do so.

I do not want to hurt anyone, nor do I want to create any controversies to gain popularity, but attracting controversies seems to be inside my genes. Despite this, I wanted to write my first book for publication.

After careful thinking, I chose the topic of ancient Hindu culture for my study on which I wanted to write a book. I do not know how someone got the clue, but some secularist organization approached me and asked me to stop my writing. According to them, it was against the secular framework of Indian constitution. I have not understood till now how writing on ancient Hindu culture was going to affect the secular constitutional framework of India. But that is fine. By now I was used to such controversies. So I stopped my writing.

Now I wanted to select a topic that would not be controversial at all and everyone would praise it. So I selected the topic of commonality of path among all the religions and how their preachings lead us to the supreme goal of spirituality. Though I was sure this time that no one would oppose me, I was attacked by many religious organizations belonging to various faiths. According to them, I did not have any knowledge or background of preachings of their religions, so I did not have any right to write anything about their religions. Again, my plan to write a book had to be shelved.

By now, I had gained popularity of being one of the most controversial authors without having published even a single book. I not only wanted to shed that image of controversy, but wanted to create a new history by writing best-selling books.

After careful thinking, I selected a new topic of market based economic system for writing a new book. A few days passed peacefully. One day, I received a call from a communist organization asking what I was writing. They were opposed to the very idea of market based economy and capitalism. They asked me to be within my limits, stick to my core area and not interfere in others’ domain. Now how do I tell them that all these efforts were to find somewhere what my core area really was…

I then decided to focus on promoting sound health for children in our country and started studying some good food and behavioral habits among children that would prevent illness so as to write a book on it. I do not know how a local medical practitioners’ association got its clue, but they marched before my house, gave slogans against me as that book would have turned away majority of their child-clients. But I was adamant this time. I did not give in.

I thought I had won the battle and I could write the book now, but in a few days, a police complaint was registered against me by some of the pharmaceutical companies for writing false material that would adversely impact their business. I was described to be a habitual liar who cannot live without drawing controversies, in the police complaint. What do you think happened thereafter? Obviously my another book was aborted in my womb itself.

It is said that man becomes wiser with bitter experiences. So I decided to be very careful now in selecting topics for my new (actually, the first ever) book.

With a great precaution, I started writing a book on family values that help in retaining our culture and live an enriched life. I do not know how some of the immigration agencies got a clue of it, they started arguing that my book will discourage people from pursuing careers abroad if they get too much attached to their families. I could argue with them somehow, but the same time, some ex army-men came to me and asked me to immediately stop writing the book as people will not join army if they cannot look beyond their families. I could not help but to stop writing the book.

I was getting more and more discouraged with the negative responses and oppositions, but did not lose hope. I wanted to be a successful author anyhow.

After a careful thinking, I started writing a book on history of Indian cinema. The very next day, a local sports association contacted me and asked me to stop my venture. Soon, they were joined by a couple of other sports associations. According to them, we are lagging behind in sports because we are too much after movies and glamour and my book would only add to this problem, so I had better stopped writing that book.

Then I decided to write a book on sports culture in India. Guess who would have come to oppose me this time? The same sports bodies that had opposed my book on Indian cinema. They wanted to prevent me from writing this book as well. Guess the reason? They were worried about their internal politics and corrupt practices getting exposed in my book.

Now I felt utterly helpless and lonely. When I started writing any book, various organizations came to vehemently oppose me, but not a single person or organization came forward to support me any time.

Now just for you, there is the latest development; don’t tell anyone about this, otherwise someone will flock again to abort my dream to be an author; I just started writing a new book on a fresh topic. Sorry, which topic? Well, it is on how many times a hen gives eggs in her lifetime…

Comments